Equality and diversity in employment
We have been awarded the ‘Two Tick’ disability status, which recognises our commitment to increasing the number of disabled people we employ and our good practice in employing disabled people.
The award aims to ensure that people with disabilities feel confident their employer will be positive about their abilities.
In achieving ‘Two Tick’ status the Council has made the following five commitments:
- To interview all applicants with a disability who meet the essential criteria for a job vacancy and to consider them on their abilities
- To make sure there is a system in place to discuss with disabled employees what can be done to make sure they can develop and use their abilities
- To make every effort when employees become disabled to make sure they stay in employment
- To take action to make sure that all employees develop the right level of disability awareness needed to make these commitments work
- To review the five commitments and what has been achieved each year, to plan ways to improve on them and let employees and Jobcentre Plus know about progress and future plans
We will interview care leavers (aged 24 or under), reservists/ex-forces/family of forces and disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria in the person specification for a job vacancy.
When completing your application form, please ensure you match your skills, experience and abilities with those detailed in the person specification. In order to assess your suitability for a guaranteed interview, you will need to declare that you have a disability, are a care leaver or reservist/ex-forces/family of forces.
Calling for interview
If you are invited for interview, you will be asked to tell us if there are any adjustments you need.
Please tell us any difficulties or requirements you may have. We will make reasonable adjustments wherever possible. These might include ensuring the building where the interview will be held is accessible, arranging for assistance such as a mini loop system or allocating more time to complete interview testing.
Further support for disabled applicants is available from the following:
Job Centre Plus Disability Employment Advisors
Telephone: 07800 676540
JobCentre Plus Access to Work (ATW) Scheme
Telephone: 0115 989 5700 or 0115 989586