Support for children and young people
A huge range of our services are provided for children, young people and families – from leisure activities to volunteering opportunities, healthy lifestyle advice to educational activities, work experience placements, safety advice and more.
More information on what the District Council and our partners can do for you, can be found below.
Mental wellbeing and health
Good mental health is as important for your wellbeing as physical health.
Mental health problems will affect 1 in 10 children and young people, we want to make sure that young people have access to information and advice in one place, and are aware of local services, that can help support when experiencing emotional wellbeing, mental health or behavioural concerns.
The links below lead you to top tips, a vast array of resources and give you the ability the prioritise your self-care:
- My Tutor - teaching your teen to manage uncertainty
- Stem 4
- NHS Every Mind Matters – looking after a child or young person’s mental health
- NHS Every Mind Matters – mental health and self-care for young people
- Health for Kids
- Health for Teens
- The Mix
- Young Minds
- Anna Freud
- Children and young people’s mental health coalition
- Charlie Walker
Useful numbers and helplines for young people
- Childline – 0800 1111
- Helpline - 116 123
- Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Text shout to 8525
- Leisure centres - activities and holiday programmes for all ages
- Xperience - leisure centre membership scheme for children 2-15 years old
- Clubs and groups – social, sports, arts and walking groups in Newark and Sherwood
- Cycling in Newark and Sherwood - where to cycle locally and safely
- National Citizen Service - the adventure starts here!
Places to go, things to do
- Local events - events to delight and entertain you
- Palace Theatre – for drama, music, workshops, comedy and more
- ICO Young People - protecting your personal identity, social networking, identity theft and unwanted marketing.
- Mobile phone safety - a few easy steps to protect yourself
- Anti-social behaviour - examples, solutions and how to report it.
- Fearless - provides advice from 'crimestoppers' and allows you to anonymously report a crime.
- Road safety - stop look and listen
- Cycling safety - cycle safety and security tips
- Online safety - using the internet safely
- Cybersmile - charity set up to combat cyber bullying
- Google Safety Centre - keep you stuff secure and private
- Facebook - Family Safety Centre
- Okrehab - support for addiction
Jobs and careers
- Our current vacancies at the Council
- Work experience placements with the Council
- Apprenticeships with the Council
- Gov UK Work and Career Advice - creating a CV, gap years, your career path, your working rights
- VISPA (Volunteering in Sport and Physical Activity)
- Register to vote - have your say on how we do things
- Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme -everything you need to know about DofE
- Green living and recycling - what we do at Newark and Sherwood
- Schools recycling service - what you and your school can do to recycle
- Nottinghamshire Library Service - Join your local library or order online!
- Benefits Advice - housing and council tax support
- Council Tax Discounts - young people and students
- Money Advice Service - managing your money, paying tax, financial help for young people
- Think Children - school based support for vulnerable young children
- Newark Women's Aid - support service for women and children suffering domestic abuse.
Youth Zone at Nottinghamshire County Council
Children's BBC - cbeebies
BBC Nottingham - for news, weather, entertainment, sport and things to do
Nottinghamshire Help Yourself - information and support for communities across Nottinghamshire