Healthier Options Takeaway (HOT)
Ordering a takeaway may no longer have to be such a guilty pleasure with the launch of the Healthier Options Takeaway (HOT).
Keep an eye out for HOT-rated local food businesses when you order a takeaway to find healthier food options. The scheme isn't about stopping you from having a takeaway. It is about promoting the healthier options.
The HOT scheme is just one approach to help tackle the national obesity problem, giving people more options and showing that there can be a healthier alternative without compromising on taste.
Get your business HOT-rated
You can apply for a HOT Merit award if you’re a takeaway business that has a food hygiene rating of 3 or above. The merit will last for 2 years, or before if the takeaway has a change of owner or cuisine. We have the right to remove the merit if the food hygiene rating falls below 3.
There is no cost for applying for this merit.
Making small changes
Many takeaways, restaurants, cafés and coffee shops already offer healthier options for their customers and display information about this on their menus. Other food outlets may offer healthier options, without realising or promoting it. By making small changes to what is offered or how food is prepared, cooked or served, you can offer more choice for your customers.
There are lots of simple steps you can take without compromising on taste, for example:
- offering to grill, bake, poach or steam food instead of frying it
- removing salt from tables and counters
- switching to wholegrain pasta, brown rice or wholegrain bread
- offering a vegetable side or salad as part of a meal option
- switching from double cream to single cream, yoghurt or half fat cream fraiche in recipes
- promoting water or low sugar drinks
- offering smaller portion options for adults
This Merit recognises takeaways offering healthier options and implementing small changes to their menus. By achieving the Merit, you’re showing a commitment to helping our local communities to lead healthier lives.
Other benefits include:
- increasing customer choice
- increasing customer satisfaction and sales
- enhancing the reputation of your business
- receiving a certificate and promotional material to display in your premises
- recognition of your achievement through Newark and Sherwood District Council’s website and social media
How to apply
There are six sections in the form and all questions must be completed. Please provide comments to help us understand how exactly you are meeting the criteria, this might be examples of what you do or changes you have made.
Once complete please send the form to: Health Improvement Officer, Newark and Sherwood District Council, Castle House, Great North Road, Newark, Notts, NG24 1BY or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Search the online directory for HOT suppliers across Nottinghamshire. Or find our local suppliers in the table below.
79-81a Mansfield Road
|Donna B's Tasty Bite
|The Soup Dwagon
(Tuesday to Saturday)
|Whitepost Farm tea roomsMansfield Road