Councillors are not paid a salary, but they are entitled to allowances and expenses to cover some of the cost of carrying out their public duties.
What does a councillor do?
Councillors are responsible for making decisions on behalf of the community about local services and budgets, including the level of council tax set by the district council.
The work of a councillor includes:
- helping local people
- supporting local organisations
- campaigning on local issues
- developing links with all parts of the community.
How are councillors paid?
Councillors can receive allowances and expenses. Member's allowances are based on a scheme recommended to us by an independent panel.
Our Councillors can claim the following allowances:
- basic allowance - all members are entitled to this
- special responsibility allowances - recognising that some members, usually those who chair council committees, will spend more time on council work
- dependents' carer's allowance - assisting members by contributing towards the cost of employing another person to undertake their caring or childcare responsibilities while they attend meetings
- travel and subsistence allowance - for our members this is the same as the casual rate scheme for council officers
Code of Conduct
All councillors abide by a code of conduct, part of which requires them to declare any financial interests, gifts or hospitality that could influence any decisions they make.
Councillors must enter on a public register all their financial and other outside interests. They must also declare their interests in any item to be debated in council or committee.
Publication of allowances
All councils publish their members' allowance scheme annually.
Councillors' Allowances Scheme 2022 - 2023 [16kb]
This sets out what members are entitled to receive and what expenses they can claim. Most allow councillors to claim for some travel, subsistence, meals and accommodation when away from home for council approved duties. There are strict rules about this. The total amount of allowances claimed by each councillor is published here each year.
Councillors Allowances for 2021 to 2022 (PDF File, 107kb)
Councillor Allowances for 2020 to 2021 (PDF File, 432kb)
Councillor Allowances 2019 to 2020 (PDF File, 432kb)
Councillor Allowances 2018 to 2019 (PDF File, 475kb)
Councillor Allowances 2017 to 2018 (PDF File, 25kb)
Councillor Allowances 2016 to 2017 (PDF File, 52kb)
Councillor Allowances 2015 to 2016 (PDF File, 58kb)
Councillor Allowances 2013 to 2014 (PDF File, 33kb)