We have numerous pay and display car parks available across the district, open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Options range from short-stay town centre car parks, to longer-stay car parks which are usually on the edge of the town centre. Our car parks are easily accessible and provide good value for money.
All our car parks are clearly signposted on the main approach roads, including the number of spaces available.
See our car park locations and a list of fees and charges 2022-23 (PDF File, 582kb)
PayByPhone cashless parking
PayByPhone cashless parking is available at a number of our Newark car parking locations. To pay, simply contact PayByPhone by calling or using the smartphone app.
More information about cashless parking, including how to download the app and make a payment, can be found on the PayByPhone website.
Parking regulations and fines
Pay your penalty charge notice (PCN) online on the Nottinghamshire County Council website.
To discuss your parking fine or to make a challenge, call 0345 520 1357, choose option 2 then option 1 to speak with a customer services advisor. Find out more about car parking enforcement and fines.
Electric car charging points
There are seven rapid charge points in three of the district council’s car parks, each able to charge two vehicles at a time.
- four at Riverside car park (fastcharge)
- one at Appletongate car park (ultracharge)
- two at Castle House (1 x fastcharge and 1 x ultracharge)
Fastcharge points can power up most vehicles in as little as three hours whilst the ultracharge point at Appletongate provides up to 80 per cent power within 30 minutes.
You can access the equipment through a smart card or mobile app.
Parking for disabled people
Disabled people can park for free (for a duration of three hours only) in all Newark and Sherwood District Council car parks. Visit our blue badge scheme page for more information on parking for disabled people, including how to apply for a blue badge.
Caravans and vehicle weight
Caravans are not permitted in any of our car parks. The maximum vehicle weight permitted in council car parks is 3,500kg gross or 1,500kg unladen.
Motorcycles and scooters may park free of charge for a maximum of 8 hours (no return within 12 hours) when parked in the designated Motorcycle (M/C) Bay.
Permits and season tickets
Season tickets can be purchased between three months and a year. Permits allowing short-term on-street dispensations such as parking in resident only streets are also available. Find out more about parking permits and season tickets.
Car park security
We aim to make our car parks safe and secure. Our car park at Tolney Lane has secured car park status and car parks at Appletongate and the Livestock Market in Newark and Church Street in Southwell, have been awarded the Park Mark 'Safer Parking Award’.
CCTV cameras cover most of our car parks and our car park staff carry out routine patrols.
If you notice a light out in any car parks, please contact us or the relevant town council.
The parking charter
We pledge to:
- provide parking facilities that comply with current parking regulations
- provide reserved parking bays for disabled badge holders
- display clear information about charges and where to pay
- ensure that the car parks are well lit, clean and well maintained
- make safety and security of your vehicle a key priority by providing uniformed patrolling staff, 24-hour closed circuit TV surveillance and a help point with direct contact with security staff
- respond to reports of graffiti and vandalism within 24 hours
- repair any faulty equipment as soon as possible, keeping disruption to a minimum
- listen to your views and measure user satisfaction through feedback surveys